Friday, July 31, 2009

Okay, here goes nothing...

Right. Here goes.

So today is the final day of July. And originally it was going to be a new August revolution, although tomorrow is also Pride so I might actually go and get drunk in the park with the gays tomorrow, and start the revolution shortly after. To be honest, it's more a resolution than a revolution.

Now firstly a bit of a preamble/disclaimer. I am not Stephen King. I did not kill John Lennon. I haven't finished reading On Writing by Stephen King yet, but one of the things that stood out for me from this (other than Stevie being v. defensive about being labelled as a 'popular writer') is his; "People say 'do you only write when the muse visits you'? I say yes. I do. And the muse visits me between 9am and 5pm, monday to friday."

Now that's all very well, Stevie. And to be fair to him, he writes a bloody darn lot. At some other point if I get the time I'll get into the awful situation that faces Stevie K - the fact that it's 20 years since he wrote The Stand, and he's never going to get even close to writing anything even half as good. I haven't read The Stand.

So, anyway. Revolutions.

I neither have the time or the money to flirt with the muse as much as Stevie does, but I also have a bit more time than I currently set aside to actually writing. So here's the plan. Come august (proper), there's going to be a good deal less of the smokin' and the booze. (Again, S.K. doesn't even remember writing Cujo, he was so whacked up on goofballs. Well, fine. I don't even remember reading Cujo.)

And this is where I bite the bullet where my mouth is. This is the target, sir. One piece a week. Not much, to be fair. Let's clarify that. One GOOD piece a week. A poem or a story. I'm only allowed to cop out and do a 4 line poem... rarely.

I know it's not the best place to be posting these, given that it's a vintage blog that's fallen into disrepair and I never really come back to visit, but until I can teach myself all the advances in webdesign that have happened since 1999, I don't really know if I can teach myself to make a better website. So yes. On here. From August. And please do send me abuse if I let things slide.

2 Comments:

Blogger Orbific said...

I shall certainly look forward to more writing.

But something about your post puzzles me. You say Stephen King doesn't remember writing Cujo.

But the book he claims not to remember writing in 'On Writing' is Tommyknockers, his extended addiciton metaphor. (Actually Cujo, and all his other novels can be read as addiction metaphors, but that's beside this point).

You seem party to some information that says King has gaps in his memory around the time he wrote Cujo. This is long before Tommyknockers. In fact, Cujo was published in 1981, meaning it was written around 1980. It was at the end of this year that John Lennon was slain.

Which means King could well have been programmed to kill Lennon while hopped up on goofballs and have no memory of the fact. He would have been the perfect murder weapon.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was more than happy to uncover this great site. I want to
to thank you for your time for this particularly fantastic read!
! I definitely enjoyed every part of it and I have you saved to fav to look at new stuff on your web
site.

Here is my page :: weight loss management

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home