Thursday, May 18, 2006

and the band played on...


Flower of DORAEMON
Originally uploaded by secondimpacttaro.
It's been a hectic weekend. Dude, it's been a hectic weekend. It's Thursday today. It has been a busy weekend.

So on Friday it was Dave the Machine's birthday. Except I was working in the pub and so rather than celebrating 25 years of Machine, I served drinks to those celebrating this momentous day. Dear God. Tom doesn't even remember being in the Evening Star and he was there for 4½ hours. Maya leaning over the bar saying; "You've got really beautiful eyes. I'm serious. Really beautiful" to Jo who was trying to serve three customers at once. Daniel Taylor placing the entire contents of his pockets (about £8 and a signed photo of Wheelie Willy the Disabled Dog) on the bar and demanding "a mix of all the spirits" for Dave the Machine. Alice and Rosanne drinking a bottle of wine each. "Did we? I'm sure we didn't."

So work I did. Ah well. Afterwards I took the ukulele and strolled down to Bond Street where they were all sitting in the street wondering what to do next.

Of course the next obvious step was to go down to the Spiegeltent where they obviously wouldn't let us in as it was about to close so we sat outside and Tom covered himself in Nutella and I played the ukulele and we charged people 50p to "Kiss the Nutella Boy!". Tom got one kiss and no money. My jacket is covered in nutella. Maybe I kissed the Nutella boy.

Saturday and I bounded into town on my kangaroo boots in order to 'cover' the street performances day as part of the Brighton Fringe Festival. At one point I fell over in the street because the sole came off the kangaroo boot and I was lying on my back holding an umbrella and the ukulele and Daniel came and put the sole back on the shoe and pulled me upright and then before I knew what was going on I was standing in the middle of this crowd of people holding an ukulele and a big red umbrella and wearing kangaroo boots and I think they must have thought I was some kind of street entertainer. So I started playing the ukulele and bouncing around on the kangaroo boots. Quite limited for a street entertainer but I guess I was kind of on the spot. They seemed to enjoy it anyway.

More wandering the streets (or bouncing about the streets) and then we popped into the Basketmakers Arms for a half and Daniel Taylor went home and got the guitars and then we went off to the Pavillion Gardens for The Meatles.

The Meatles! The world's first meat-themed Beatles covers band! Aftr a shaky start, we got into the swing of things, and decided to move to the crossroads in the middle of the Pav Gar for the performance. Here's a brief setlist (as far as I can remember)

Strawberry Veal Forever
Being for the benefit of Mr Tripe
Grey Kipper
Whilst my abbatoir gently seeps
She's got a chicken to fry
I wanna hold your ham
Let it Beef

I think we did one more but I can't remember what it was. About half way through (I think it was as we were about to play Grey Kipper) this stumbling drunk man came along and begun muttering about drainpipes and heckling us. And then he called me fat and punched me in the stomach. And then Jacob told him to go away and so he wandered off. Other than that the Meatles went really well. Then we were cooking some food a bit later at Anna's house and this completely crazy guy called Konrad showed up from Canada.

The face of the teenage heartthrob is about to change. Konrad is intense. He wanders around constantly smoking and with a can of Stella in his hand, wanders off at a moments notice and is really rude to people all the time. In other words, he's incredible.

We went to go see some fireworks in Preston Park. They were quite good. And then we stood around for ages and Anna got hit by a frisbee and then we wandered around and picked up Colin and ended up in some kind of somersault rally and I think I somersaulted too far for I hit my head on a grass verge and then we were going to go to a party with Colin but we didn't and we went to the Hobgoblin but it turns out I am actually barred from the hobgoblin for having an identical twin and so me and Anna went to the Belle Vue and then we sat there for about an hour and then went home before something disasterous happened.

Sunday. 254 Morris Dancers. Keith Trampleasure in a jester outfit. Othello. Half-breed jokes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home