Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Eye test


Bright eyes
Originally uploaded by Dawn Grobe.
So I'm currently trying to catch up on the events of the last couple of weeks in a grotesque nostalgia flashback. But meanwhile, this is what happened when I went to the opticians yesterday.

My glasses have been missing for a few weeks now, and I finally got all the vouchers together for free glasses. So I put my head on the thing where they show you a hot air balloon. It doesn't work. They asked me if I had a lazy eye. No, I replied, but I do have a mild astigmatism in this eye, I responded, referring to my right eye. Oh, they said, and called Specsavers in St. Albans to get the results from my last eye test two years ago.

The eye test went on, much reading of letters of increasingly decreasing size, and the like, and finally they had 'the right prescription'. And this is when it began to get a bit weird.

Eye Test Lady: Okay, you do know what an astigmatism is?

Me: Yes, I have one in this eye.

ETL: Well, actually you have one in both eyes. But I'll start from the beginning. Normally the eye is shaped a bit like a football. With an astigmatism, the eye is more like a rugby football.

Me: Yes...

ETL: Well, you have an astigmatism. But your eyes aren't rugby football shaped.

Me: Um..

ETL: It's quite a rare condition; I'm afraid your eyes are conical.

Me: Conical.

ETL: Yes.

Me: I have conical eyes?

ETL: That's right. And they've been getting more conical recently. I need to get in touch with your doctor.

And so it went on. So there you go. I have conical eyes. What this entails, I have yet to find out. But dude. Conical eyes. Duude.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's a song in that...

3:45 AM  
Blogger Lady Strathconn said...

Oh my god, that's my picture!

I went to technorati and searched my name and this blog came up.

I am cool with you using my picture, since it has my name on it. That's so cool.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home