Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Fighting an Owl


Short-eared Owl
Originally uploaded by kms.
So I was wondering if anyone here had ever had any good fights with owls? Don't get me wrong, I'm no owl hater, but occasionally you are sneaking aroud in the barn late at night, and an owl will come plunging at you with it's claws out right in front of you, and fighting the owl is the only real option. The last time I was sneaking around, a proper big barn owl launched itself at me, obviously believing I was a large mouse or another type of prey. I put up a good fight, and beat the owl against a large wooden pillar that no doubt was integral to the structure of the barn, but this didn't prevent the owl's claws sinking yet deeper into the skin of my arms. Much as I beat this owl against the pillar, it would not let go. I would not stop the frenzied thrashing of a man impaled. It would not the instinctive sinking of claws into agressor. It seemed like a no-win situation. Eventually I threw myself on the ground, yelping like a sick meercat. The owl seeming to sense victory, relaxed its claws for a moment. I leapt up, grabbing the owl with both hands, and bashed it into the pillar one last time. Whilst it lay dazed, I ran for cover, refusing to leave my farmhouse for two days. Within a matter of hours, the owl had retained all normal functions, and is now housed in my barn. Everything is back to the way it used to be. Has anyone else here had a similar fight with an owl? I would love to hear from you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in a residential neighborhood in a large city in the US. On three separate occasions in the past month a small (about 6" tall) owl has swooped down from behind me and clawed me in the head. It doesn't hurt, it's just very disquieting to be standing in your yard at night and out of the blue something with the mass a litte more than a tennis ball bounces off your head with its claws digging into your head. It only happens from behind, it only happens at night, and it only happens when I'm standing in a place that provides an unobstructed flight path. The blows are quite direct and they make my head move a litte. The claws have never drawn blood, but it is really annoying none the less. I want to sit in my yard at night and drink beer in peace and not worry about getting clawed in the head. The latest attack happend about 15 minutes ago and so I thought I'd go on line and see what other people do when they are involuntarily involved in a turf war with an owl. Haven't seen much on the net, so I am going to attempt to net it and release it 5-10 miles away. I don't care if it has a nest. I am tired of being held hostage in my own house. I respect the little guy for taking me on like that, but if the net strategy doesn't work I'm going to buy a pellet gun and shoot it.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home